Sunday, February 15, 2015

V Day Weekend

Hey all! Hope you had a good Valentines Day and a good weekend.

This week was busy with work and taking on new classes. One of the teachers I am working with got sick so I ended up taking over his classes, which was a good lesson in how to be a substitute teacher. Also, I put together my first videotaped lesson on Friday, which I may have to redo because the lighting is bad and you cannot see the board from the video. Regardless, it was good practice and I realized that the kids were more bothered by the camera in the classroom than I was.

I am slowly ticking off the requirements for my student teaching portfolio and it is really starting to feel like I may be an actual teacher at some point in the near future. I have so many ideas and it will be nice to have my own classroom so that I may implement them and structure things how I like.

As far as this weekend goes, on Friday night I chaperoned a midnight walk hosted by Kevin, one of the dorm parents. We took a big group of 11 and 12th graders on a walk around town to see the graveyard, the 500 year old tree, and then for a late night snack. It was fun but I have to say that though the kids were ready to party all night, I was really glad to take the girls back to their dorm at 1:30am.

The kids climbing on the 500 year old tree:


Before going for midnight tea:



Saturday was Valentines Day (V Day) and for that I participated in a women's empowerment rally called One Billion Rising. The school has been hosting this for a couple of years now and it is part of a worldwide movement. This included a march through town and then we went to the sports fields where people gave speeches, one of the guys did a rap that he wrote for the occasion, and then we did a choreographed dance. You can find a YouTube video of the dance we did, performed by the original flash mob. We did not look that coordinated but it was fun, for a good cause, and we made up for our lack of talent with plenty of enthusiasm.

Getting ready to leave:

Marching through town:


On Bendy Field, getting ready to dance:



Today (Sunday) I have been laying pretty low but will be going to a potluck at a friend's house this evening. I made double chocolate cookies for the occasion that taste just like brownies. Its just about all I can do to not eat them all before I get there.

I hope everyone back home is doing well. Miss you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment