Thursday, January 15, 2015

Happy Pongal!



Hey all! Happy Pongal! This is the harvest festival here in Tamil Nadu and is celebrated by boiling milk over the fire until it runs over. Pongal means the running over and is meant to signify plenty and abundance. Here on campus it means that we get to eat tasty food and I tried sugar cane for the first time.

It got really busy here really fast. I have already taught my first lesson (on the cell) in 9th bio and continue with that tomorrow. I also pick up 11th grade bio tomorrow and will be covering the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. I have been observing 11th and 12th grade chemistry classes and am helping students a little bit with their extended projects that are required for the IB diploma. You can see a student's distillation apparatus below. We had to do some creative jury rigging to get it working but he was able to distill an ester, much to his delight!


My trip to the market last Sunday was a success and I was able to buy all of this produce. I think it looks so pretty laid out on my kitchen counter. And it tasted great too. So much tropical fruit available is a huge treat to someone coming from winter in Montana.
I have managed to quickly fill after school time with mentoring the 9th grade peer program, playing staff volleyball, dance and yoga clubs, and of course mandatory department and staff meetings. 

Its nice to be so thoroughly occupied. It makes me miss home a little bit less. 

This weekend I am going hiking with the high school kids on Saturday (I will hopefully be posting awesome photos from that soon) and Loey is in town so we will be doing dinner on Sunday. It will be nice to see a familiar face, though my fellow KISers are quickly becoming friends.

Well its late and chilly here in the computer lab so I am off to bed. All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment