Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Weekend

Happy Saturday!

It is my first weekend here and I am getting out and about in town a bit more. Went to Spencers (a grocery store) this morning to get some cleaning supplies and the like for around the house.

My amma (maid)came for the first time to clean my house and do my laundry. I know this sounds decadent for a graduate student but here all washing is by hand and you clean with bound grass brooms. I'm very out of my element and more than a little out of my league with this style cleaning. Mary is my amma and she is a dream. My house looks so much better for her being here. (see below)




In the afternoon my friends Kate, Sandhya, and I took a trek around the lake. It was quite the adventure and very pretty but probably not something I will do all that often. I do feel good for the exercise though. I have been doing a pretty good job of working out in the mornings since I have been getting up so early and walking campus with Sandhya to build up our aerobic endurance before the first hike next weekend.


Tomorrow I think I'm going to take on the Sunday market. I would love to get some produce and even bought the potassium permanganate that I have been told you need to treat it with to make it safe. The papaya here is amazingly delicious so that may be the route I go. I have been told mango season in March will change your life. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment